Friday, June 11, 2010

Ode To My Knives


Of all the toys in my kitchen so fair,
Eight bits of steel, honed well with care.

A flash of silver to dispatch a rind,
Serrated tips, a steak to find.

My love doth pare
Beyond compare.

A weighted handle calls me softly,
To ply my trade,with goals so lofty.

Twelve years are passed, with nary a day,
That I haven't loved them in some small way.

They nestle so happily in a block of oak,
They're calling me, I hear them, this is no joke!

A twist of fate, a deed unkind,
Out of my house, in a terrible bind.

My household goods, in a warehouse await,
Jacksonville, Florida, their ultimate fate.

Somewhere in those crates, made of stout wood,
My knives await, as good knives should.

My mom has a rack of tools that cut,
Noble, old, sharp enough, but what?

No comfortable handle, no fencing-foil steel
I shouldn't complain, but I miss their feel.

I'm sure I am spoiled, and so I whine,
"I miss you so dearly, you knives of mine."





No comments:

Post a Comment